Rootline Root Barrier
Rootline is available as both impermeable flat sheets and as an impermeable cuspated sheet.
Rootline Root Barrier
Rootline is a root barrier developed to protect highways, foundations, waterproofing, pipes and other services, etc. from damage arising as a result of tree root penetration.
- Rootline can be installed vertically as a barrier around trees to prevent the lateral spread of roots. The roots are deflected harmlessly downwards and is available in depths of 300, 450, 600 and 900mm
- In Green Roofs and roof gardens, Rootline is installed horizontally above the waterproofing and offering protection from root penetration and available in sheets of 1200mm wide
- For contaminated landapplications large sheets are available 2.4m, 4.5m and up to 6m width.
- Protects structures from damage arising as a result of root penetration.
- Controls roots without damaging tree root structure
Tree roots predominantly grow in the upper surface of the soil and spread out extensively laterally from the trunk. A good root system is essential to sustain healthy tree growth but the roots can be deflected to grow harmlessly to avoid damage to adjacent structures or services.
Rootline root control barrier can be installed around the tree or adjacent to the structure or wrapped around the pipe, etc.
Rootline is available in four styles and each consists of robust flexible polymer (PP or HDPE) sheets that resist penetration by roots.
Impermeable Rootline is preferred for most situations but there is one style of Rootline that is moisture permeable.
The plain Rootline is the most economic but the dimpled and pocketed Rootline are the most effective in vertical applications. The pockets guide the roots into a downward direction.
Rootline is available in the following styles:
- Rootline GHD85, 120, 200 are water impermeable HDPE with a plain surface.
- Rootline GHD160S20 is water impermeable LLDPE with a 20mm pocketed surface.
ABG Rootline GHD85, 120 & 200 tree root control barrier geotextiles have a plain surface.
ABG Rootline GHD160S20 is a water impermeable LLDPE with a 20mm pocketed surface that deflects the tree roots downwards
The diagram above shows how ABG Rootline GHD160S29 root barrier deflects tree roots downwards due to the geosynthetics "pockets"
How Rootline Works
In normal healthy root structure growth is laterally through the upper surfaces of the soil. This is fine unless the root growth is beneath or adjacent to structures where it may cause significant damage.
Using Rootline prevents the lateral spread of roots instead deflecting them harmlessly down into the ground allowing healthy growth but mitigating damage to the structure
Our Technical Department can offer advice on appropriate styles of Rootline for differing situations and on typical installation details.
Contact ABG for further information
Fill out our quick contact form with your product, application, technical or sales enquiry, and one of our team will be in contact shortly.